20 November 2010

Update from the front lines - Survival 101

It's been +20 days since the first outbreak in Seattle. The recent outbreak has taught me more than any other encounter could have. Some of my preconceived thoughts and notions were only furthered, meanwhile a few took a dent or two. 
One thing I've taken into heavy consideration is my own preparedness for the next outbreak. I've survived before but only by sheer dumb luck and relying on those killer instincts. So in the spirit of "Always being prepared" I've hashed together a few more vital pieces of information regarding survival.

1) The single bullet theory - My first rule in survival. The single bullet theory. I know some geniuses and hotshots like to try and show their marksmanship by double tapping a target in the head but I, personally, find this pointless. Like a certain well known and mocked actor proclaimed in a film, If you can't do it with one bullet, don't do it at all. Also regarding the American way of shooting enough bullets hoping you'll hit the target.

Now, figuring the average speed and pace of walker isn't very speedy if one takes their time and doesn't panic when squeezing (not pulling) the trigger, a single effective killshot maybe executed. Myself, I tend to favor closer quarters than most not out of arrogance or bravado but accuracy. 

This is a famous picture from the Vietnam war shot by Associated press photographer Eddie Adams of General Nguyễn Ngọc Loan of the National Police executing a Vietcong prisoner.
Nguyễn Ngọc Loan executing Nguyễn Văn Lém - Wikipedia
Now as brutal as the image is, consider if the executed prisoner were a rampaging zombie trying to take a chunk out of you. A shot at that close of range to that specific region is going to be a near guaranteed kill. One shot, one kill as the old sniper slogan goes. Also consider facing off with an odd number of attackers and only enough rounds for an even number of them, or what if the worst case happens and you are bitten and out of ammo. The only thing worse than being eaten by them would possibly have to be being forced to die and reanimate. 


2) Silence. It's golden as any theater will tell you. As neat as guns are and how we all love them, I must express my own disapproval of them. Studies have shown that walking dead are attracted to any loud noises and gunshots are just that. As far as the sound can travel, figure there are going to be lots of dead ears that will pick up on it and be drawn to its location. So this is why if a fight is absolutely necessary, Be Quiet. If you've had any sort of martial arts or military training one already is aware of the advantage of a stealthy approach to a loud boisterous one. Noise draws attention and attention will get you overwhelmed and killed. So that being said and ruling out the usage of silenced firearms, nothing beats a good old fashioned blade, bludgeon or effective melee-type of weapon. 
I like knives and blades. The trick though is to weed out the flashy glam-my junk that will only serve to get you killed and find something dependable, reliable and won't falter at a crucial moment (as it will, Murphy's Law that anything can and will go wrong is in full effect in a Z-Day scenario). Perhaps it's my own personal xenophilia but I tend to favor Japanese styled blades. Whether it be a katana sword or a a tanto bladed knife I'm all for it. 
Cold Steel Emperor Series
3) Gear. This is something I'm still working on personally and I'll come back to this periodically the more I know. But here is what I do know: Max Brooks states in the Zombie Survival Guide (or ZSG as I shall abbreviate from henceforth) that you need to be ready at a moments notice to grab your bag and go. As the name implies a Bug Out Bag is vital. It should contain all the essentials, Meals Ready to Eat (MREs), pouches of water, medical and first aid supplies, radio, ammunition, clothing and essential tools. I'm doing my research on military rigging equipment and packing systems such as the ALICE and MOLLE gear systems. But a hiking pack would also be sufficient as well. Just make sure the weight is tolerable and not cumbersome, you will need to hike and in some instances be ready to fight. Either way as previously stated, be prepared! 

4) Ultimate zombie combating tip courtesy of Max Brooks
As in any martial art, the first rule is not to fight but to run away! Keep that in mind! In closing we must all be prepared for the coming onslaught, but as prepared as we may be in terms of outfitting ourselves nothing will prepare us for the horrors you'll endure during the outbreak. 
Remember kids, one shot one kill... you might need that last one for yourself




No comments:

Post a Comment