16 August 2013

Seattle's Darkest Day

This is a story of something cool that occurred behind the scenes at zomBcon here in Seattle last year. It was late September and I'd been working on an article about George Romero's Day of the Dead for the ZomBcon Blog and decided that without an eye-catching piece of artwork, my prose would be nothing more than a bunch of words on a webpage that no one would want to read. So after some poking around online I stumbled across a scan of an old video store advertisement for Day. This would do the job nicely I figured.
Having little to no skills in photography or the creation of cool artwork myself, I called in a favor to my friend Tim Szczesniak of Fade To Black and told him my idea. I wasn't thinking anything too complicated: edit out the text and adding something recognizable like Space Needle would be sufficient enough to tie the image to Seattle; seeing as how Seattle Center was slated to be Ground Zero for the event.
What Tim came back with blew my mind and was way more than I had expected but was damned amazing. My first thought was "He knocked this one clear out out of the park!" This is Tim's image for my article Seattle's Darkest Day

"Seattle's Darkest Day" Tim Szczesniak
 So I showed the image to Ryan Reiter, the President of ZomBcon International, just to clear it with him before it went up on the blog. Apparently it struck a chord because he immediately asked if we had his permission to use the image. He does some tweaks and edits of his own and suddenly it's going into this week's edition of The Stranger as an ad. I'd ask my friends smugly, "So, uh, you see this weeks' Stranger?"
People would respond, "Oh yeah, I saw that zombie and thought of you... did you have anything to do with that??" I'd just smile evily...
Later it would undergo further edits and revisions to later become the main image for our convention flier.

 
Bub in The Stranger

No comments:

Post a Comment