28 May 2015

Crypticon 2015




So now nerdgasm aside, it's back down to brass tacks. Crypticon was this past weekend and despite not been given the time off I still decided to make a point of it to show up and be there for as much as I could. Sadly Friday was a wrap by the time my better half and I arrived but we met up with Warning Signs creator and fellow partner in crime TJ who had several successful panels with the Soska sisters and talking Stephen King (he'd just finished his Master's thesis on the man and was slated to defend it earlier this week).


 The three of us ran into Tim Long who invited us to dinner with Craig DiLouie (who I hadn't seen since ZomBcon) and a host of other authors. Over the weekend we got acquainted with Chris Marrs, and Katie Cord of Evil Girlfriend media... but the apex was finally getting to meet the proverbial man of my nightmares, Jon Moon. Icing on the cake meant getting to sit in on Thom Carnell's Ask the Mortician panel before he departed back to Bellingham.
What mattered most was having been remembered fondly and welcomed back into the scene I love most by people I consider peer, friends and family to an extent.
Though my time was limited, it was worth every second and despite I didn't get much of a tour of the dealers room or see any of the celebs (Missed Bill Forsythe, damn)  some definite highlights were seeing Bill Moseley step off the elevator amidst a sea of undead party girls and having Michael Berryman himself ask Teej and I where the Crystal Ballroom was. Real friendly guy.
  If nothing else it re-lit the fire under my ass to get back to doing this and what I love most. So sorry for the introspection from what should be a horror and geeky blog but I've found something of a new purpose so I'm sharing that.
And to tie everything up for the day, with the release of Kung Fury, my general love for all things retro and being late to the proverbial party I've decided that my aim is going to be on retro movies and such... I'll throw in something current when possible but the focus will be on yesteryear...

so with that I close with a line from Kung Fury:The hero is asked what he is going to do, he replies gruffly:
My Job.
So that's what I plan to do. My Job as a retro-action reporter, and show my findings in revenant research and defense. If you haven't watched Kung Fury by now stop reading this and go watch it now... go on, shoo!

PS Thanks again TJ!
That's Wade Davis' autograph on a copy of his book
The Serpent and the Rainbow

No comments:

Post a Comment