08 October 2014

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Have I ever mentioned I love fall? I love cooler weather, enough of this summer heat bullshit... give me hoodies, home cooking and horror movies dammit!
I love wading knee deep in the dead... leaves... I love October morning fog like turn of the century London or John Carpenter's The Fog... even a distant siren could be mistaken for a nuclear assault siren, I do always keep my ears perked for the sounds of something big, heavy and metallic being dragged on those days. You just never know when the Steel Pyramid can show up.
Full moons on those months will instantly get me hurrying for home lest I become a werewolf snack.
Anyway, it's also back to school time for the kids... and those machete fodder college kids as well... do I still count even though I'm in my 30's now? Maybe not, it's usually the freshmen that die first, you rarely see a college senior bite it.
Unlike this time last year (when I was suddenly single one night waiting for the other half to come home to watch The Walking Dead, haven't gone back to it since by the way) I'm in a much better place in all ways possible. That said I'm not slacking on my duties here... oh no... ho ho ho... on the contrary... I've been VERY busy trying to make a point of celebrating this year to the fullest and finishing some ideas I've had in development hell since last year... so that said I'm going to do my damndest to bring an article a day for the entire month of October... they might not be timely but expect as close to 31 days worth of material!! Some of the stuff I've been working on include: a trial of as many things pumpkin spice as I can possibly stand, a summary of the official kill counts of the most notorious cinematic slashers in a piece called the Big Fat Kill (and yes that's a Frank Miller reference), a few of what I am entitling Double Tap Reviews where two separate films get a summary and analysis and will be tied together somehow (one I'm working on is a double dose of Dekker and another involving two trips to the electric chair and the villains that rode the lightning into the beyond and back), a few more pieces from my past in the Origins series (an ode to Monstervision and an idea I had called The Faces of Fear as I dig up some of the things that terrified me as a kid... buut maybe not so much anymore now), and what the hell I may even go way back into horror comic book history and the infamous Comic Book Code (an idea I'd had for an article a long time ago that never manifested)...
oh! I've also decided to join the new nu-millenium by joining Twitter... you can follow me at RevenantRND
In addition I've been fooling around with video editing... you may or may not have seen my first test reel... I'm also trying to work on a collaborative project with a good friend of mine who has a particular skill with video editing I'm fond of...
I've also avoided actually doing a tribute to Brandon Lee and The Crow for Devil's Night but I might just might go and do that this year finally... which is saying something since even watching the movie is emotional for me... much like Ledger's Joker in Dark Knight, especially knowing that this was their last and they gave it their all... and it can never be topped or even replicated or even done in a sequel... but I'm also honoring something of what you might call a Retro Request for it... hmm sounds like a good idea for a recurring column... which I like to do in case you all hadn't noticed! I like to group and categorize this little mania I call my writing and somehow this seems to be the only way I can do so! Not only that but I have a tendency to favor classics and movies that have since come and gone... I've fallen into my niche of geekdom I do believe in the old school realms... then again New is experiencing something for the first time so my own writing will hopefully be just that! That said it's rather an interesting plight at times when some people like James Rolfe the Angry Video Game Nerd and Cinemassacre or blogs like Dinosaur Dracula or Freddy in Space or Hudson's House of Horror have so much time and devotion to the craft that I almost can't even keep up! It ain't easy trying to find time for this between work, school, my minion, my beautiful partner in crime, the family we have together and a hefty dose of life on top of it all... so if you're still here reading this now,
I appreciate that, I try to make it worth your time and while. So keep reading and interact with me dammit! I promise I'll come out from behind the keyboard and give you a better bio about myself than the crazy fabricated backstory I have up to make things more interesting (what being a paranoid delusional zombie crazed fanatic sounds better than your average retro horror nerd trying to set himself apart from a lone genre that went from zero to oversaturated in a hurry and yet staying true to the roots that got me here).

... so enough philosophizing... on that note... 

No comments:

Post a Comment